"Don't put things off or delay until another day, or something else might get in the way!" Tabitha
How we procrastinate
- Putting things off
- Making accuses why not to get things done
- Refusing to look at what needs to be done
- Distractions; social media, food, endless shows to watch
- Not prioritising the actions we need to take
- Thinking we have plenty of time
Reasons for procrastinating
- Perfectionism - if I can't do a perfect job I won't bother
- Laziness / instant gratification
- Not feeling good enough or up to the task in some way
- It will never happen anyway - negative outlook of the bigger picture
- Discomfort - not wanting to leave our comfort zone
The deeper reasons for procrastination
- Past Stress or even Trauma
- Secondary Gains (benefits we get from not doing stuff)
- Other Survival Programmes (sabotage/suppression/self-limiting beliefs/self limiting fear/shock)
- Limiting Beliefs created at a time we survived in the past that somehow link to the present circumstance
- Occasionally past life stress that has been carried into this lifetime
Moving back into the flow
- EFT Tapping - great for shifting unhelpful thoughts and feelings and can get to the root of old issues and clear them fast.
- Breathing into the feelings that come up - allowing ourselves to feel them and let them go.
- Get on with it anyway until the uncomfortable feelings go away.
- Remember, done is better than perfect. We can usually go back and edit what we have written or said, even.
- Break things down into smaller parts and deal with them one at a time.
- Journal on why you are procrastinating - ask yourself questions and answer them. This can be surprising and enlightening.
- Keep your eye on the prize. Remember the greater, long term benefits of your day to day or weekly actions.
- Know and believe that you deserve good results.
- Work with a professional to get more insight and awareness into what is causing your procrastination and how to move past it.
Questions for you to journal
- What might your life be like, tomorrow, next week, a month from now, 6 months from now, a year from now, 5 years from now, if you do NOT take action?
- What might your life be like tomorrow, next week, a month from now, 6 months from now, a year from now, 5 years from now, if you DO take action now?
- What would then be possible for you, that is not possible now?
Good luck with your goals!
If you would you like to receive my blog posts and monthly newsletter by email, sign up here.